This page has all sorts of information about training available for skiers and officials. This is in addition to the the regular training given by the various ski clubs in the region.
Information specifically for coaches is on the Coaching page.
Information that was on this page but is no longer current is in the archive below.
Training at Chatham
- LSERSA Regional Training sessions are open to all racers within the region. Going forward they will be held at Chatham Ski Slope every Saturday between 9 and 11am. The cost of each session is £17.00. Coaches are Jim Gibb, Emily Evans and Charlotte Evans. The session is open to racers of all levels and includes technique, stubby poles and full pole training.
- Please note that the last Wednesday training session will be Wednesday 6th December (6:30-8:30pm), with a 'Christmas Special' (with timing) on SATURDAY 16th December, 9-11am. Training will start again on Saturday 13th January.
Wednesday Training Points
A timed training session will run on the first Wednesday training session of the month at Brentwood, from May to October. Points are awarded in four categories (male, female, U12 male, U12 female) based on fastest run as follows:
Trophies will be awarded at the end of the season for the fastest overall male & female and the fastest U12 male & female, based on the best five points received in the year (from a maximum of six timed sessions). Skiers must attend at least 4 timing sessions during the year to be eligible for the overall trophies.
In line with SSE age groups, any racers born in 2005 or later are eligible for the under-12 category.
- Latest points totals for 2017 are posted here as both an Excel (.xlsx) file and as a HTML (.htm) file.
|Overall Male||David Williams-Gravener||Andy Atkinson||Sonny Lewis|
|Overall Female||Molly Atkinson||Megan Whitmarsh-Ali||Evie Whitmarsh-Ali|
|U12 Male||Oliver Tovarlaza||Liam Atkinson|
|U12 Female||Felicity Toms||Lila Simmonds||Lila Ayton|
Race Training organisations
Click on logos to go to external websites. Note that LSERSA does not endorse any academy, school or other organisation.
This year Ambition Racing are, in conjunction with Atomic, holding three Race Camps during the summer.
Special Training - Friday 19th April
Emily and Charlotte Evans will be holding a special training evening at Bromley from 6.30pm until 8pm on Friday 19th April. It is a fantastic opportunity to get ready for the summer race season.
LSERSA Training days
Training days have been arranged before the LSERSA races at Aldershot, Brentwood and Bromley. They will be from 1pm to 5pm on the Saturdays prior to the Aldershot and Brentwood races. The Bromley training session will be on the Friday evening 19th July from 6pm. These are LSERSA training sessions. Cost is £20.00 for the two hour session at Bromley and £35.00 each for the four hour sessions at Aldershot and Brentwood. Please book either with Emily Evans or Sally Woods
SSE are organising a Race Officials Level 2 Course on 13/14 April 2013 at Gloucester Ski Slope. For more details and an application form see SSE's web site page.
Team Evolution is running a test camp for new athletes in March. Each summer lots of parents ask about getting involved with winter training. It is hard to find a chance for them to try it out away from races. This Test Camp is a chance for up to 15 children to take part in the full programme (with schooling etc) to see how they like it. The dates are 2nd to 9th March in St Johann, Austria. See the flyer or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Alpine BASI preparation, Eurotest and Test Technique training
During November & December: 4 weeks BASI preparation, Eurotest and Test Technique training in Tignes, France.
January - April: 1 week per month of BASI preparation training courses in Tignes.
Train for any duration from 1 week to 8 weeks, be prepared for your up and coming instructor exams.
If you hold your BASI Alpine Level 2 and you pass the Test Technique you can teach skiing in France. Ski Focus and BASS have collaborated with 333, an International Ski School in Tignes, to offer to all successful candidates a unique opportunity to teach skiing this winter.
UK BASI preparation
May - November: Numerous BASI preparation days at a number of Snow Facilities in the UK.
- A Regional Race Camp will be held at Bromley from 27th to 31st August 2012. Contact Emily or Charlotte Evans - see the leaflet for details.
Impulse Racing and Aosta Race Academy Summer Camps
Summer Camps are a great way to keep improving through the 'off' season so that no time is wasted in the autumn getting back to where you were at the end of April.
- Glacier camp runs from July 29 to August 9 in Tignes.
There will be additional activities each afternoon after skiing as the 'on the hill' time starts very early in the summer. The camp lasts for 10 days and costs £1200 to include half board accommodation, lift passes, transfers to/from Geneva and all coaching pastoral care costs.
Current recommended flights are with Swiss from Heathrow: departing 29 July at 07.00 and arriving back on the 9 August at 16.10. These are currently showing at £109 which includes ski carriage.
For more information see the flyer
- Indoor camps:
- Hemel - 18-19 July - £75 per day
- Hemel - 13-15 August - £75 per day or £200 for all 3 days
- Hemel - 20-22 August - £75 per day or £200 for all 3 days
Landgraaf - 22-23 September - £160 per day to include full board accommodation, all slope time and coaching fees
- For more information see the flyer
- A Regional Race Camp will be held at Bromley from 5th to 8th June 2012. Contact Emily Evans or Dan Curtis - see the leaflet for details.
- Team Evolution are running a training camp at Hemel Snow Centre from 4th to 7th June. Click here for more information, or visit the Team Evolution website.
SSE's program of Race Officials' Courses has been revised - see the update.
SSE are running a Calculations course at Loughborough over the weekend of 3/4 March. See the flyer for more details. The other courses at Loughborough are cancelled.
There will be Level 1 and Level 2 courses in Manchester on 25th Feb and 24/25th March.
You may be eligible for assistance with the cost of these courses - see the policy. Applications should in the first instance be made to the Secretary (Sue Vale).
Cancelled due to lack of demand.
SSE are running Level 1 and Level 2 race officials courses, a race secretaries course and a calcs course at Loughborough over the weekend of 19/20 November. See the flyer for more details.
You may be eligible for assistance with the cost of these courses - see the policy. Applications should in the first instance be made to the Secretary (Sue Vale), the Chairman (Sandy Telling) or the Vice-Chairman (Gwenderlyne Southall).
- Ski Focus are running 4 week and 8 week courses including the two week BASI Level Two course, all taking place in Tignes starting in October or November. For more details and costs click here or visit the dedicated web site, www.tignes-instructor.com.
Impulse Racing Training Camps
Impulse Racing are running a number of training camps this summer:
Hemel Snowcentre Camps: 18-20 July with Ed Drake (£200), 1-3 August (£200) and 8-11 August in association with Head skis at which Head test kit will be available and there will be goodies for all trainees (£275).
Glacier camps in Tignes with Aosta Race Academy: 23-30 July (£850) and 22 October - 6 November (£950 per week).
Winter training will be in Aosta with the Aosta Race Academy. There will be educational support for the trainees. Training will be in Pila with Phil Brown heading up the coaching team.
- Team Evolution have a test camp running this summer to give new athletes the chance to come out and test the Team Evolution programme in Austria. This is not for current skiers, who will already be out training, but for new children to come and see what the programme is like. There are 8 spaces available, so if you are looking for a training programme but don't know where to start click here for more information, or visit the Team Evolution website.
This year Ambition Racing provided 6 training bursaries for some of the region's most talented young athletes. Racers in the three youngest age groups won FREE places on the Ambition-Atomic Race Camps this summer.
- Concept Ski Racing is holding a 5 day race training camp at Brentwood Park from 18th to 22nd April. Contact Dan Curtis and/or read the course flyer for more information.
- Click here for details about a workshop entitled 'How to involve young volunteers' that Active Surrey are running in partnership with Surrey vinvolved to help support clubs in recruiting, retaining and rewarding young volunteers. See the poster for more information and details of how to book.
- Take the guesswork out of applying for funding - attend the brand new 'Sport England Small Grants Programme' workshop and you will improve your chances of making a successful application to the programme. For more details look at the Sport England's flyer.
A reminder that the Skilful Skiing course will take place at Bracknell Ski Slope on 16-17 Oct. Depending on what other qualifications you have, you may need to do this in order to be able to register the Freestyle Coaches award. There will also be a judges course on the Saturday night.
Full details can be found on the Freestyle Web site.
- (Level 1, Level 2, Race Sec & Calcs)
Snowsport England are running Race Officials courses at Hemel Hempstead over the weekend of 13/14th November 2010. There will be courses for Level 1, Level 2, Race Secretary and Calculations. See the invitation for details and a form to apply for a place.
Run under the guidance of staff from Ambition Racing, and with support from Level Gloves, futur-3 clothing, Ski Bartlett and Snow & Rock, the Atomic Team GB skiers and staff took part in two sell out camps at The Snow Centre Hemel, from 26th - 30th July, and Suffolk Ski Centre, Ipswich, from the 9th - 13th August.
Last updated: 3rd December 2017